Sunday, January 9, 2011

Part 3: Ethan made the PAPER!

Honestly, I am not quite sure where to begin with this post or what my first words should be. As I am sitting here thinking about it, so many different possibilities are running through my head, but which one is the best way to begin part 3 of Ethan's story? 

The easiest and most effective introduction that I can think of is that...ETHAN'S STORY MADE THE LOCAL NEWSPAPER! Before I begin unfolding the events, I want to begin by first saying that Ethan's story did not have to make the paper and getting in the newspaper was never a goal or motivation for me. Throughout all of the business and at some moments frantic emotions of collecting the cards for Ethan, Wendy (my step-mom) reached out to the local newspapers to see if there was anything the newspapers could do to help us reach the goal that Lord had laid on my heart. Without any expectation that the newspaper would even be able to help, a reporter replied that they would not be able to do much to help in regards to meeting the Christmas Eve deadline, however, they wanted to write about the Ethan's story and the card campaign. 

After I had gotten the call from my step-mom, I felt the Lord's goodness in my life. He was setting the stage to show off above and beyond what I could have ever thought or expected by providing not only 1,000 cards but 1,500 cards. 


The day before the reporter came to the house to interview Ethan, my parents, and us kiddos, my dad and my step-mom laid out all of the cards on the dining room tables (1) so that they could read through them all and (2) so that the reporter could have a better look at all the cards. When I arrived at the house that afternoon the tables were filled with cards. 




There was so much color, creativity, and encouraging messages! It was beautiful!  The reporter (Chris Basham) came the Monday after Christmas. She sat down with our family and she asked questions and took pictures. A few days later we got the call that the article was being printed in the Wednesday edition of the Enterprise. A few days later we were notified that the Recorder was also going to be printing the article. God is just so great! 

This is a picture of the article in the Recorder
(picture on the left - full page) and the Enterprise
(picture on the right - half page).










Article in the Calvert Recorder: Seeing Miracles in the Mail
Article in the Enterprise: Support for a Miracle in Mountain of Mail