Monday, January 3, 2011

Part 2: Ethan's Christmas Afternoon

Christmas day was a great day! After we [Grant, Kaitie, and I] had a lovely Christmas morning with our momma and step-dad, we packed up my car and drove to deliver the cards to Ethan! As any 6 year old boy would be, Ethan got so excited when he saw the huge box come through the front door and of course the first thing out of his mouth was, "is that for me?"


We decided to let Allison open her gifts from us first, because I wanted the box of cards to be the last gift to be opened. So after Allison opened her gifts and Ethan tore through the other gifts we had gotten him, he was ready to open the BIG box! BUT before I let him open it, I told him I needed to tell him something very very important.


Ethan climbed up in my lap and I began to tell him about what was inside of the box. I told Ethan that there  were tons of people who had heard about his eye and wanted to let him know that they are thinking about him and praying for him. I told him that I had contacted some of my friends and asked them to make him a card that would encourage him as his eye heals. I told Ethan that I asked God to give me 1,000 cards for him and that God didn't just give me 1,000 cards, but He gave me 1,503 cards for Ethan!
At that point I am not sure if Ethan new exactly what to do with himself; I have no idea what must have been running through his mind, but I think at some moments he was not sure what to think. As he opened the box and saw all the cards, his little face lit up! He had this huge smile on his face and he immediately started to pull cards out of the box and look at them. 
The first card he picked up was a card from his dog Kenza. Obviously Kenza could not have made the card all by herself, so I had to give her a little help. But Ethan loved the card, he thought it was cool that his pal and best friend made him a card.


After the first few moments of sheer excitement, Ethan started picking cards out of the box and asking us to read them to him. As my dad was reading the cards out loud to Ethan, Ethan sitting next to him and looking at the pictures and the drawings with a smile on his face! It was truly a kodak moment! However, it REALLY became a kodak moment when my dad started crying while he was reading the cards and we had to get him a box of tissues! :)


There were SO many cards...
We went through as many cards with Ethan as we could, but eventually he got worn out and he just wanted to rest! He was ready to move on to some quiet time of relaxation. He got his pillow pet and curled up in the chair and rested while watching TV, which concluded our Christmas afternoon! Ethan loved all of the cards and he thought it was cool that so many people were praying for him. 

This is the massage table that Ethan lays on to keep pressure on
his eye. Although he did not use this Christmas day, I did have
him lay on it so I could take a picture to show you.
Ethan is such a good sport!